Diabetes is a debilitating disease that affects your blood sugar levels, which in turn can alter your oral health. The effects of diabetes in dentistry can be prevented or treated. Here are some things you should know about diabetes and dental health:
– Diabetes can lead to a delayed recovery times with any oral ailments you may suffer from.
– Infections like gum disease can cause a spike in blood sugar, which in turn makes diabetes more difficult to handle.
– Nearly 10% of the population of the United States has diabetes, as it is much more normal than you think, and thus dentists are trained to help assist those with diabetes appropriately with their oral health care.
– Diabetes can hinder your production of saliva, which can result in dry mouth symptoms, thus increasing your risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
– A mixture of regular dental visits and a great oral hygiene routine will raise the quality of your oral health care if you are suffering from diabetes.
Caring for your teeth ensures diabetes will not be able to harm your smile. To schedule your professional cleaning at Ryan D. Sparks, DMD with Dr. Ryan D. Sparks and our team at our dentist office in Corvallis, Oregon, simply give us a call at 541-754-9322. We look forward to bringing your smile back to its fullest.