Are you aware of all the number of ways that you can suffer from halitosis, also known as bad breath? The truth is that halitosis is an oral health condition in which you are suffering from foul odors emanating from your mouth. These can be caused by the foods you eat, plaque buildup, oral health ailments and even underlying issues within your body. To help keep your smile safe, consider this:
– If you have dentures, it is important to make sure you clean them every day or you could contribute to bacteria buildup known to cause bad breath.
– Bad breath can often collect on the back of your tongue, so it is important to use a tongue scraper or other tool to make sure your tongue is always clean. Similarly, excessive plaque buildup on your teeth can also cause bad breath.
– Various medications can produce dry mouth as a side effect, which is a known risk factor for bad breath.
– Your bad breath may be linked to an underlying condition in your mouth such as a toothache or gum disease or an underlying condition in your body such as a liver or kidney issue or a respiratory tract infection.
– Avoid unhealthy lifestyle habits such as smoking and chewing tobacco, as they too can contribute to bad breath.
– Often times, bad breath can simply be caused by odors in foods and drinks you are consuming.
If you would like to set up an appointment with Dr. Ryan D. Sparks at our dentist office in Corvallis, Oregon to help treat halitosis, please call us at 541-754-9322. Our team at Ryan D. Sparks, DMD looks forward to ensuring your smile is shining for years to come.